To emphasis Tania's comments about the telco not providing the hardware, its
conceivable that this message got to you without using telco equipment, at
least in the traditional sense. It use to be that digital signals were sent
over voice lines. Now voice is sent over digital lines and can be done
completely without the teleco's involved. We're doing right here, in Spokane
Wa. on a metropolitan are for the school district and we and other are doing
it elsewhere.
The school district is saving $500,000 to $800,000 a year (I listened and
believed one of our marketing guys - forgive me the sin if the numbers
aren't quite right) in telephone costs. The district staff doesn't know the
difference, nor do they even realize that they are doing interesting high
tech stuff when they pick up the phone and order video on demand and get it
down the same pipe they just spoke through.
Sorry, this wasn't meant to be an ad - just a solid reinforcement of Tania's
remarks on who makes the equipment. The need for dancing solely to the
telco's music is changing. Simply because they don't want the standards
harmonized is no longer sufficient to halt it. Just as office equipment and
computer equipment became indistinguishable from one another, the evolution
between telco equipment and digital transmission such as Ethernet, sonnet
and ATM is becoming indistinguishable and should drive the harmonizing of
standards.
There are two critical points in this tread safety and reliability. I would
support the Teleco's absolute adherence to reliability. When all else fails
in an emergency, pick up the phone. I'm betting you have a dial tone. What I
don't see is how the harmonizing of standards to that used for this
equipment throughout the world, computers and Ethernet,  but outside of the
telco's direct ability to control would reduce that reliability. In point of
fact they have a whole additional layer of tests in the NEBS series that
insure that reliability.
The comment about reduced spacings and relying on dielectric tests instead.
Isn't that still an option in 1950?
Gary
        Obviously, these are my opinions and not necessarily that of my
employer who may or may not smote me about the head and shoulders for making
them.
        Hmmm, my phone line just mysteriously went dead!