As far  as I understand the only difference would be
the location of your files.
So  if you use the .deb they would follow the usual standards. i.e: neo4j
executable would be in usr/bin.
probably the conf will be in /etc/conf... and so on.

If you download the .tar.gz neo4j config files, executable and data folder
will live in a single folder.