Right, cross path comparisons are not yet used to shortcut path-finding

so if you rewrite your query to this, it will actually filter down the paths
eagerly

MATCH (me:Member {id: 11700})
WITH me, me.birth_year as birth_year
MATCH
(me)-[ra:preferred_store]->(s)<-[rb:preferred_store]-(other)-[rc:ordered]->()<-[rd:product]-(sv:StyleVariant)
WHERE abs(other.birth_year - birth_year ) <  {age_difference_range} AND
sv.cached_available = 1