Probably the easiest way is to use the *0.. variable length path notation
(0 or more); also, it's a good idea to put arrows in your queries:

MATCH (n:Variant { name:'variant2'
})<-[:UPDATED_VARIANT*0..]-(v)--(a:Allele)
RETURN n,v,a

In cases where no :UPDATED_VARIANT relationship exists, n and v will be the
same node.

Wes