You definitely need a server between you and the graph.
As for a choice of tech well that would depend on your preference, you can
use almost any language because you can hit the REST endpoint to query the
database.
I've used .NET and am now playing with node.js, both have offered different
benefits and drawbacks.

(mobile_device)-[:requests_to]->(server_written_in_language_of_choice
)-[:cypher_rest_via_some_adaptor]->(neo4j)-[:feeling]->(good)