Neo4j unfortunately keeps all transaction state on the heap, so for large
ingestions it is recommended to either do it in batches (but that makes
cross-batch relationships harder), or actually have a sufficiently large heap
(but you might not have the hardware), or use the BatchInserter (but then you
have to write Java code to make it go, and take the server offline when you run
it).

In 2.1.0-M1, we added PERIODIC COMMIT as a band-aid to this problem, when using
the new LOAD CSV statement, but of course that doesn't help you if you want to
use a production-ready release.

If you go for the large heap, then I recommend saving enough memory for the
operating system such that the JVM process will never need to use swap memory.

--
Chris Vest
System Engineer, Neo Technology