I've been thinking about getting an economical system to experiment with
Neo4j on large databases (eg, YAGO2s). AFAICT, having *lots* of RAM is the
high-order bit, so I've been thinking about starting with (say) 128 GB but
adding more when prices drop.

Problem is, I haven't found any single-processor systems that have more
than eight RAM slots and (AFAIK) memory access on dual-processor systems
slows down a lot when a processor has to use the other processor's memory.

Either a new or used system would be acceptable, as long as it's economical
 and expandable. The system should be able to run Ubuntu and FreeBSD.
Suggestions?

-r