Hey,

the problem is related on how windows services are hard-killed after a too
short timeout.

It's planned to be worked on resolving this issue, but I can give no date /
release on when it will be fixed.

So for now, if you need a cleanly shut down database (e.g. for an upgrade),
please use the shell to get a cleanly shutdown db, like this:

Neo4jShell.bat -path \path\to\graph.db -c quit

If you installed the neo4j installer for windows, either download the
zip-distribution which contains the shell or have a look at Mark's blog post:
http://www.markhneedham.com/blog/2013/11/29/neo4j-the-case-of-windows-neo4j-desktop-and-the-invisible-text/

Cheers,

Michael