I did not answer everything. But the JTS distance method will work for all
geometries, so that answers most of your questions.

The GeoPipeline methods also provide ways to find objects within distances
of other objects (using the rtree for optimized searches). And it provides
sorting too, so you can, for example, search for everything within some
maximum bounds, sort by distance and pick the closest 'k' elements.