How about this? Defer predicates until you match more than you need, then
double check what you need to confirm in WHERE.

MATCH (c:circle)
OPTIONAL MATCH (c)-->(s:square)
WITH c, s
WHERE c.id = 4
   OR ((c)-->(s) AND s.id < 4)
RETURN c,s

Wes

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 1:13 AM, S. Kai Chen <sean.kai.c...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> gets compiled and then gets translated into Cypher after it passes
> validation.
>
> It's definitely a lot easier to translate that user query into a Cypher
> that actually allows new identifiers in the predicate; a lot more work to
> do the translation in terms of union -- maybe even more than what I might
> spend implementing the identifier in the predicates in Cypher.
>
> Does that make sense or would some examples with the more complex type of
> queries help?
>
> Cheers,
> Kai
>

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Michael Hunger <
> michael.hun...@neotechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> You can also do number 3) because you actually don't need "s"
>>
>> match (c:circle) where (c.id=4) or ( (c)-->(:square{id:1}) ) return c
>>
>> Only #4 is trickier but still possible, only not so nice to read :)
>>
>> *I think union is still the better choice here as you combine 2 different
>> use-cases:*
>>
>> match (c:circle)-->(s:square) where s.id < 4 return c,s
>> union match (c:circle{id:4}) optional match (c)-->(s) return c,s;
>>
>> But you can use a path expression as a collection of paths, which you
>> then can use in collection predicates (all, any, single, none) , filter,
>> extract, reduce.
>>
>> match (c:circle)
>> where any(p in (c)-->(:square) where last(nodes(p)).id <http://s.id/> <
>> 4) return c
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Kai Chen <sean.kai.c...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is the right place to submit this.  I was going to
>>> open an FR ticket on github but changed my mind because I thought maybe
>>> it's better to have a discussion here first.
>>>
>>> I've run into a couple of places where being able to say something like
>>>     match (n ....) /* criteria doesn't involve binding an identifier n2
>>> */
>>>     where n.prop > threshold or ( (n)-->(n2:label{qualifier:"value"})
>>> and n2.prop < threshold )
>>> would make the query a lot easier to read.  I'm aware that, in the case
>>> of 'OR', I could use a union after using 2 separate match clauses.  And
>>> that's what I've been going along with, until now when I need to
>>> dynamically translate a user query into Cypher.  Here using union can
>>> become very complex, as the relationships can nest arbitrary levels deep.
>>> But if we had a syntax that can bind new identifiers in predicates, it
>>> would be very easy and, more importantly, very readable.
>>>
>>> I've prepared a few simple use cases below.  (See attached image of the
>>> model)
>>>
>>> * Data Set
>>>
>>>   Below creates a set of 7 nodes consisting of 4 circles, 2 squares, and
>>> 1 triangle.
>>>   2 circles point to 2 squares, 1 circle point to the triangle, and
>>> another circle is dangling.
>>>
>>> create (:circle{id:1})-[:uses]->(:square{id:1});
>>> create (:circle{id:2})-[:uses]->(:square{id:2});
>>> create (:circle{id:3})-[:uses]->(:triangle{id:3});