Looking at the schema for this node, there are duplicate internal indexes.
I tried dropping the apiKey and the code key indexes under separate
operations and both times Neo4j said there was an internal error and I then
had to restart it to recover. FWIW these indexes are annotated on SDN
classes and I have no idea how this situation occurred. Neo4j 2.1.5

Is there any corrective action I can take here short of trashing the
database?

neo4j-sh (?)$ schema -l :FDCompany
  ON :FDCompany(apiKey) ONLINE
  ON :FDCompany(name)   ONLINE
  ON :FDCompany(apiKey) ONLINE
  ON :FDCompany(apiKey) ONLINE
  ON :FDCompany(code)   ONLINE (for uniqueness constraint)
  ON :FDCompany(code)   ONLINE (for uniqueness constraint)
  ON :FDCompany(code)   ONLINE (for uniqueness constraint)

Constraints
  ON (fdcompany:FDCompany) ASSERT fdcompany.code IS UNIQUE