Maybe I'm missing something but why do you want to store an empty array as a
property? An empty array is logically equivalent to null. Null is logically
equivalent to not storing a value for hat property. Not storing a value for a
property is more efficient than writing value = null to disk.

So, shouldn't you just not store a cars property in your example?

Sent from my iPhone