Hi,

I did just that, not for tube life but because I live off the grid and need
every watt I can make. I used an IR sensor from Parallax and interfaced it to
an MCU. Nice thing for me is the clock is MCU driven, so all I had to do is add
a little code. It's nice to do it with a MCU because you can decide how much
movement for how long makes the tubes turn on (so the cat doesn;t turn it on)
and how long it stays on until it goes back to sleep. Do you play with PICS/AVR
etc?

Jonathan
  The only problem now with the clock is that the tubes are very expensive and
I want to preserve their longevity.

  I wonder if anyone can help me interface either an IR remote control to
switch the HV to the display on and off to permit continued time keeping with
the display off.  This would increase tube life since I am never home from 7AM
to 7 PM and can turn off the display during the day.  Alternatively, an IR/Heat
sensing PIR motion detector could, via a small relay, turn the display off and
on with movement in the room.  Perhaps this would be a more sophisticated
solution. Looking at the attached schematic it appears that the switch could be
placed between the step up transformer HV rail either before or after the Neon
indicators.  If placed after the indicators the neons would stay lit indicating
the clock was still running albeit in display off mode. Thanks for any help or
providing another resource to help me solve this issue.