On Jan 22, 9:19 pm, will <ossumguyw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.When the device is plugged in, even with the surge protector turned
> off, if I touch any of the neon lamps they light up a little bit (and
> if I touch them on the common cathode side, the other lamp lights up
> too). I feel no electrical sensation. This isn't really a concern,
> just cool.

This may be an item of concern. First, do you have bleeder resistors
across any high voltage capactors in your circuit? If not, you should,
for protection of anyone who may work on it. The neons could be
lighting up from stored charge. Also, (assuming that the plugs of both
the surge protector and the clock are either 3-prong or polarized)
there may be a problem with either your power outlet or surge
protector. Either the power outlet wiring's polarity is reversed, or
the surge protector has its switch in the wrong wire. If your clock
already has bleeder resistors, this is almost certainly the case. If
you have any non-polarized plugs in the loop, one of them needs to be
reversed, or better yet, replaced with a polarized plug installed
properly. The miswiring results in the neutral wire being switched off
instead of the live wire, which is a dangerous situation, and can
result in just enough current flow to produce the phenomenon you
described. I once had a gas range with electronic ignition that was on
a mis-wired circuit, and even when it was off the electronic ignition
would spark every 10 minutes or so, because the wiring capacitance
allowed a trickle of current to flow "backwards" into the HV
generation circuit, and it took that long for it to build up enough to
flash over. When off, your clock may be generating a "high" voltage
that is fairly low, perhaps in the region of 70 volts, that is just
enough to light the neon bulbs with the additional capacitance from
your hand.

A.J.