On 11-04-09 02:30 AM, lai...@wcoil.com wrote:
 The very popular Zenith Transocienanic short wave radios use a
90 volt battery and draw around 11-20 milliamps. The A battery filament
supply is 9 volts at 50-60 miliamps.  Many of the very compact portable
tube radios would use 1.5 or 3 volts for the filament supply and 67.5 or
90volts for the B supply.  It would be very handy to wire the supply with
a sense circuit that would detect when the filament supply was turned on.
I would think that mounting the switcher in a metal enclosure with input
and output leads properly bypassed would take care of the RF noise
problem. Ferrite beads, inductors, bypass capacitors.  I just wanted to
throw this out.

THe Transoceanic is a short wave receiver, so Any noise in the 1500Khz to 30 Mhz band would defeat the purpose. ALSO the TO uses a Tube even rarer than the 15 segment Nixies, the 1L6, so IRON CLAD regulation of the filament circuit is a must.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca              Just Beyond the Fringe