(I guess there’s no harm cross-posting this stuff to both neonixie-l
and cogwheel-nixie-system groups)

Regarding Caller ID, one could go to a pure hardware solution and
solder chips, but my tendency would be to use a PC, an off-the-shelf
USB modem dongle and a little Perl script to monitor the modem for the
Caller ID and get it to the display.

The demo video was done using a very small Perl script, BTW. But any
programming language w/access to the peripherals would work just as
well.

Regarding more than 8 tubes, you would just need to build two B7971x8s
systems and communicate with both of them independently through two
virtual serial ports. The scroll shifting would probably work w/o any
modification to the display driver board firmware.

You are lucky you if you have 16 B7971s; They might fetch over $1500
in today's market.

..c