Hi Gene,
We've been doing quite a bit of research on glass to metal feedthroughs at
Sixsmith. There are a few different methods and different types of glass
used, and the best reference I've found so far is here:
http://www.pmillett.com/tubebooks/Books/kohl_materials.pdf

Take a look at the feedthrough method using copper and cane glass. We
haven't tried it yet in the shop, but it seems like we could reproduce it.
Seems like it is good for pins, but we are still working with wire.

To make new nixie tubes we ended up deciding on going with soda-lime glass
and dumet wire, annealing them in house and then looking at them with the
polariscope to see where the stress is. I don't know that his will be our
final solution, but it is easy enough to get started with.

If you just want to temporarily reinforce a seal, there are high vacuum
glass to metal epoxies such as Celvaseal which may not have much longevity,
but can help you troubleshoot the problem.

I know what you mean about the color wrapped around the pins. Some
literature I've run across reference asbestos tape to help insulate parts of
the structure, but I've convinced myself that's not it. May be part of the
jig that held the pins in place while the glass was formed? I don't know.
It's a good question.

If you are in the Boston area, feel free to bring your Nixies over to play.
We have both Neon and Argon on hand.

I hope something in there helps you.

Meredith
www.6smith.com