Anyone ever thought of fixing the tubes? I think the hardest part is the seal between the pins and the glass, and if that part was still intact (which in many cases it is, because it is the most stable glass part of the tube), wouldn't it be possible to add a new "cap" to the tube? I.e. some glass cylinder, or a really large test tube ;-) with a small outlet at the back through which the tube's vacuum could be generated and then also be filled with your Neon / Argon mixture.

Sadly, I do not have the equipment, but I know there are several people on this list who might be able to do that. Maybe not the gas / vacuum part, but the general glassworks. In Germany we have several extremly good glass workers who create Geissler tubes. The vacuum / gas part is a piece of cake for them, but sadly, they are reluctant to play around with the first glass repair.

I have another sad story: a broken CD47 :-((( I got it for 50EUR, though, and if I ever learn glassworks, I will sure try to fix it.

What do you guys think?

Jens