On 11-07-23 10:53 AM, Shane Ellis wrote:
I never really thought of these older ICs having "seals", but it makes
sense, in the sandwich sense.  I looked at one of the Fairchild 74141s,
and where the epoxy is sandwiched between the ceramic, sure enough,
there's a hole in there.

(Oh no, another back in the day story)

When I was in High School, the eelctronics teacher Pulled in a few favours and got the class a tour at what was then "Microsystems International Limited" ASA "Corkstown Labs", AKA Northern Electric Semiconductor.

At the time they were doing stuff like making 747 Op amps and the diodes for the receiver of Northern electric telephones. (the one that cuts the dial click)

They explained taht they tested the seal on the diodes by by putting a batch in a chamber with radioactive gas. after a while they puped the gas away, and any diode that was radioactive was assumed to be leaky and junked.

The lab later became part of BNR, then Nortel Networks. Last I heard SGS has some space there as well as Abbot Point of care, to make Istat medical tests which also require a clean room.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca              Just Beyond the Fringe