No doubt these 555 power supplies can work, but the efficiency can be
poor, and there is no current overload protection. If you can live
with the extra wasted power (means a heat sink, for your numbers) and
can trust yourself never to short the power supply out, then these
circuits will deliver. But you will never beat a custom SMPS IC with a
generic 30 year old one IMHO.