Here's an old gamma radiometer project which uses them:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=AD0689692
, looks like they are hooked up as binary counters to me.

A nice Russian calculator : http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/rasa.html
- I especially like the rotating drum which is backlit by the
thyratrons wile it rotates! What an engineering feat!

And this data: http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Shack/MTX-90.txt and the
datasheet here: http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Shack/MTX-90-5.jpg it is
part of the Russian databook on Dekatrons and other cold cathode
valves.

/Martin