> I was thinking to use the level shifter on an H-bridge (4 transistor
> array [2 NPN and 2 PNP] that reverses polarity) to power NE-2s. While
> there are tricks to make one NE-2 light both electrodes, powering many
> requires a lot of components.

[...]

> Many NE-2s (with both electrodes lit) can
> be operated by adding lamps and resistors or am I still missing
> something?

It seems to me like you contradicted yourself - first you say it requires a lot
of components, then you say you
can operate many by adding lamps and resistors.  The second is true, you can
light many, and it doesn't take
a lot of components, just two resistors per NE-2:

http://www.vitriol.com/images/tech/3ne.gif

As long as your transistors can handle the current of the paralleled NE-2s,
you're good to go.  Since this isn't a lot of current, most transistors should
be handle many of 'em.  Don't be tempted to share the resistors between NE-2s,
it
won't work - the one with the lowest striking voltage will light, pull down the
voltage, and keep the others from lighting.

> Level shift the inputs for the PNP and
> use astable 555 and an inverter as the timer (adjust time base to
> minimize flicker and hum).

While you could level shift and high side switch with PNPs (like anode drive
with nixies), there's no need to do so, as these aren't nixies and you can
simply low-side drive them with NPNs and dispense with the level shifting.  Or
perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at.

- John