On 1/25/12 9:28 AM, H. Carl Ott wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM, David Forbes<dfor...@dakotacom.net>  wrote:
On 1/24/12 3:45 AM, dr pepper wrote:

Oh es, thanks for the link John.
The  problem with building a crystal oven is callibration, you need to
find out what temp the xtal needs to run at to produce exactly the
right freq.

You can buy them on ebay for not much money. For that matter, a used
rubidium source can be had for a few hundred dollars.

  Few hundred? I just got one from ebay (fe-5680a) for 43.00 delivered.
Going rate is under 50 bucks.
  Just have to figure out what I'm going to use it for.

The price must have come down - I admit that I haven't looked for a couple years, since a guy doesn't need TWO rubidium sources.

Unless he's the proprietor of http://www.leapsecond.com that is. In that case, he needs a suite of them to get much better composite accuracy. And a cesium clock to calibrate them against.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ