On 2/3/12 5:53 AM, Jeff Thomas wrote:
Careful HV *and* LV cutoff threshold, with thermal scaling, is a
design responsibility that my former employer didn't address seriously
enough. Separator defects through contamination are a serious
consideration with any prismatic Lithium Polymer chemistry choice.
http://tinyurl.com/7zpn4lu

My oldest son and I enjoy flying high performance micro heli's using
that particular cell. And even though they appear perfectly fine at
preflight, we've had two cells puff unexpectedly, and one ignited
midway through it's flight to destroy the airframe.  Not something you
could tolerate occurring on someone's wrist.

Please be careful.

Regards, Jeff

Jeff,

I'm aware that hobby R/C cells don't receive much QC compared to bluetooth cells. How else could they get that low, low price?

The actual cell that I'm considering is the GM041223-PCB made by GMB and sold in the USA by these folks:

http://www.powerstream.com/li-pol.htm

I intend to ask Powerstream what qualifications the cell has obtained, and whether it's currently being sold in quantity to another OEM as a component of human wearable electronics.

I'm also interested in how the pulse current affects reliability, as it will be about 3C for a few seconds at a time. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem since the temperature can't rise much in that time, but you're the expert here.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ