I have a 1969 Signetics catalog and there was an older BCD-to-Nixie
driver called 8T01, also in 16 pin DIP, but with a different pinout
from the 7441.  So if you find the pins are not working out, Google
the 8T01.  I see a data sheet out there for it.  They offered a few
different counters, but the 8280 was their basic BCD one, so that is
probably correct.

Best of luck with it!