On 15 Apr 2012, at 21:12, David Forbes wrote:

> The DS2321 is not a real part, according to Google. The DS1307 is.
>
> It's true that you don't need a pullup on SCL, since it's only ever driven by
> the CPU. But the SDA line changes direction between writing the pot address
> and reading the data. It will drift to an invalid state without a pullup,
> which may cause problems unless you do some clever software hacks such as
> ensuring that the SDA input is ignored unless it's actively being driven by
> the RTC chip.
>
> Feel free to experiment with I2C with no pullup resistor, but you might want
> to use an oscilloscope to show you what happens to the SDA line when it
> changes direction.

The part is a DS3231 David. I finally realised that the data line is
bidirectional and on a PIC read it will be floating in the breeze so I
understand now. I must have been being particularly dense yesterday. I am sure
I will find room for some pullups.

Grahame thanks for finding the 125mW resistors at Farnell. Somehow when I
choose 125mW in the parametric search it only shows up one wired resistor, an
out of stock US part at a crazy price, 1885813.

When doing small PCB designs it always seems the biggest space hog is clearance
for the mounting holes.

Thanks to all who helped,

John S