The time before last when I did a search on ebay for nixies there were
serveral soviet ebay businesses selling various nixies, dekatrons,
numitrons and the like, all at reasonable prices and I've bought a
few, last nite when I did the same only a couple showed up, and they
were expensive, and there are currently no numitrons at all shown.

I wonder if this kind of line appears and dissapears over time on
ebay, or whether theres a shortage of these devices.

I'm aware that there has been some criminal activity which kinda makes
me think that supplies are drying up making it more proftable for this
kind of activity.