Dylan,

The main design flaw with the published trigger tube clock is the change of supply voltage (I frigged the anode resistor to compensate). This does effect the pulse carry timing considerably. The main problem with the XC18 is it requires light to trigger reliably - leave the clock in a dark room and one or more rings will have failed by the morning. Tubes with a keep alive electrode like the Z700U will operate in complete darkness. My own XC18 clock is now just a demonstration clock that I fire up just to show it off as and when.

I have a design for a second XC18 clock with schematics and layouts done in Eagle which I can email to you if you want to see them? This will give you a (all valve) design of a stabilised PSU and a 50 (or 60) Hz to 1 Hz divider using a two stage phantasmagorical divider which has a pulse shaper at the end to drive a XC18.

For a more back-to-basics on trigger tube circuit design then download this book by Neale (86MB) chapter 5 in particular:

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/dmneale.pdf

As it goes through the design process for trigger tubes (it uses the Z700U in the worked example).

As a general comment to anyone on the list it is an ebook worth having IMHO.

Building dividers on a breadboard is very easy and work well. The first divider I built was a two tube, divide by two, and then I added several more stages just to watch it count. I used a simple neon relaxtion oscillator to provide a slow enough tick that the dividers could be seen to be working rather than just using a 'scope.

There are other XC18 clocks out there but all have the same darkness problem so must be kept lit. A few UV leds seem to work fine but the holy grail of an all valve clock has perhaps then been lost.

The clock web page now lives on my own website as well

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/nixie3.html

Happy to correspond, and I'm sure others will have comments as well.

Cheers Grahame