The length of the glowing portion of these bargraph tubes is fairly
proportional to the input current. I personally like the IN-13 better, on
two points. (1) Lower full scale current. Only 4mA. The IN-9 is much
higher. (2) it has a 3rd electrode, which usually locks the glow to one
side. 10 discrete levels is very doable. 12 or 24 can be managed too. The
drive circuit is very simple. On the cathode leg, insert an NPN xstr
(MPSA42) with a resistor in its emitter leg. Tie the collector to the
bargraph cathode. The base to an op-amp output. Connect the op-amp
inverting input (-) to the node connecting the resistor to the NPN emitter
(other end of the resistor to gnd). Input your signal to the non-inverting
input of the op-amp. If the resistor is 680 ohms, 4mA will be achieved with
an input voltage of 2.72V (= 680 x 0.004). Divide that by 10, or 272mV per
level. You'll need to get a uC with a DAC output, or connect a separate DAC
to the uC; either parallel, or serial.