I understand your point, Terry.. Which I think is the classic "Slippery Slope" argument. You get used to cutting corners, before you know it you're trying the same tricks at work where you design nuclear reactor cooling systems, the systems fail due to your design choices that were outside of specification, etc.

Luckily for me, I take mission criticality into account when I make a design. A nixie clock project (for me) is foremost a fun chance to try new things and sandbox some experimentation. Disclaimer: I don't sell my clocks and I also don't use them in mission critical applications such as drones or heart pumps. If something fails because of a design choice that I made, then I make a note of it and change the experimental design. The fact is that mission criticality is just another input in the requirements phase of the design. Things like component count, size, feature set, hazard analysis. Take the time to come up with some real product requirements before you start drawing a schematic. Makes things a lot easier.

-Adam W7QI