From: jb-electronics <webmas...@jb-electronics.de>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 0:11
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Soda lime - small success

Hi,

good work on the small glow lamps! What kind of burner do you use?

Jens

Nice information about making stems are in the Roth's book noticed recently here.. "Vacuum sealing techniques", for those interested in this book, let me know outside, I will post link..

I have already got a small test mold made from graphite, 13-pin.. My original intention was to arrange some kind of furnace in microwave oven and melt the glass directly in the mold with dumet wires inside.. But no luck yet, I am able to heat a piece of the carbide to 1000C, but the power is to small to heat all the mold with glass. Another thing is, that at this temperature, the graphite reacts with oxygen producing CO2 and degrades.. I think 10 cycles is maximum for one mold. The furnace with controlled atmosphere (nitrogen, argon, CO2 ..) would be the best.. I am going to ask my friend to test that process in their lab, he has a special tubular furnace able to go above 2000C ;-)

I am preparing some short blogpost about my fail ;-) I will publish it tonight. Except that, I had also some small success, sealed argon tubes.. that post is already done:

http://dalibor.farny.cz

Dalibor