I guarantee that the IN-12 was selected because it is available for cheap and in high quantity.. The fact that it is also 18mm digit height is bonus. (Sad to say, 18mm digit height nowadays is considered very large.) The IN-17 would also be a good solution, since it is also cheap, but I think they have a 9mm digit height. You would need less power to drive IN-17's. I've never understood this hangup that some people have about the "upside down 2's". But as I've said before: You all can keep your hangups.. it just drives down prices on the offending nixies and more nixies for me. :)

-Adam W7QI