... and my wife thinks that _MY_ clocks are tricky to set!

On 8/15/2012 3:54 PM, chuck richards wrote:
On the 12/24 selectable version of the '160 clock,
when it is in 12-hour mode, the thumbwheels must be
left preset for 0100.

Then, as David said, it loads that after 12:59:59

Chuck

---- Original Message ----
From: dfor...@dakotacom.net
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Design my own Nixie Clock?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:22:37 -0700

On 8/15/2012 11:18 AM, John Rehwinkel wrote:
A couple of years ago just for fun I started from
scratch and designed a nixie clock circuit from the
ground up (pun intended), that uses (6) 74HC160 counters.
How do you do the divide-by-6 digits?  Just use gates to reset the
counters
when they get to 6?  I'm more used to using 7492 counters for that
task, so
I'm curious.

- John

Synchronous counters will accept a parallel data input and/or a
reset signal.
The tricky part is going from 12 to 01. You have to issue a load
command with
0001 on the data bus to set it to 1.

The '160 has an asynchronous reset, while the '162 has a synchronous
reset. So
the logic would be slightly different for those two parts.

The advantage of synchronous counters is that you don't get
glitches, and if you
do, they don't matter since the signals are only sampled on the
rising edge of
the clock.

It's not so important for a time-of-day clock, but designing
circuits to work at
a hundred MHz is a lot easier with synchronous logic.

--
David Forbes, Tucson, AZ

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!