Finally getting back to this after more boring bits of life, and finishing
a couple of nixie clocks I was working on. Back to FLW = Back to asking
questions - this time about resistor values.

* As before, I'm experimenting with cathode drivers - and came across this
blog
post<http://lucsmall.com/2011/07/19/using-the-sn75468-as-a-nixie-tube-driver/>which
 explains it (via some help from this group). I also tried it with the
50v ULN2003A and a 47v Zener diode and it works - this is good news since
they are cheaper and more readily available. I'm not quite sure how to
calculate the pullup resistor, but it doesn't seem too critical.

* However, given that I know from the spec sheets what current should be
going through each cathode, I can't quite get my head around what voltage
differential I should be using to calculate the cathode resistors...?

* Similarly, I just discovered that unlike LEDs, nixie circuits seem to use
an anode resistor as well as cathode resistors - why is this? The spec
sheets of the tubes show the anode current - but as above, I'm not sure
what voltage difference I should be using to calculate this.

* Also been experimenting with anode drivers; I was going to use an
optoisolator, but I'm trying to make a design which will drive both the
nixies and LEDs (with appropriate changes in supply voltage and resistors),
and it turns out I can't get one to handle the current of the LEDs. So I'm
probably back to the common MPSA92/42 combination. I see lots of schematics
including these, but I'm not quite getting the logic of how the resistors
are calculated...

As ever, any insight hugely appreciated...