I'd say that you can use both grid and mesh since they do not describe the
electrical properties in a Nixie, just the structure of the Anode made up
by a grid or mesh structure. But in a thermionic valve they describe the
control electrode if you use the word grid. In a thermionic valve you
usually se mesh being used for describing the anode structure surrounding
the cathode and grid, like in the EF86 which come in several different
types where a few have a mesh Anode.

Old patents use both mesh and grid to describe an Anode surrounding the
digits and they then mean the structure of the anode and not the electrical
properties like in a thermionic valve, that has already been explained by
using the word Anode.

/Martin