  From: Dylan Distasio
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 2:18 AM
  Subject: [neonixie-l] MDL2416s

  Hi all-

  Please pardon me mentioning a non-nixie display, but I thought some of you
might be interested in this listing of MDL2416 displays:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-MDL-2416-Intelligent-display-Vintage-Extremely-rare-/271082015251?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2838746912725530146%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271082015251%26

  I have no relation to the seller, but I did pick one up myself.  I had a
search set for these since I loved the write up on the VTA site and coudn't
resist:

  Most smart displays are designed to survive in a harsh world filled with
filthy humans, but the MDL2416, made by Siemens, is overbuilt to ridiculous
levels only needed to withstand the wrath of Enemies of the State. The MDL2416
is a military version of the venerable DL2416 smart display shown above, and is
different from it's comparatively pedestrian relative in nearly every way
outside of pin assignments. The MDL2416 is packaged in a very thick metal case
with a hermetically sealed glass cavity lid. The individual LED dies are
mounted to a ceramic substrate with gold leads, and the pins exit the display
through glass frits to complete the seal. Electrically, the MDL2416 functions
identically to the civilian 2416; the ASCII decoder and drivers are present and
have been attached to the underside of the ceramic substrate in a special
cavity provided for such. The MDL2416 may not be able to survive global
thermonuclear war, but it has a much better chance of surviving the inside of
an engineers pocket than lesser epoxy-clad displays.

  http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/articleview.php?item=1145