To: <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: OT - Raspberry Pi $25 credit card size Unix box

On 4 Sep 2011, at 07:10, Nick wrote:

I've been watching this for a while since Rory Cellan-Jones
(pronounced "Keth-lan"-Jones) first mentioned it (I went to school
with him) - what puzzles me is who is funding it? They are all
Cambridge-based (the UK one) and have some good people on board...

Cambridge Uni funding? Certainly access to their resources. David Braben, the god who wrote the game Elite (among others), is possibly rich enough to put some of his own money into it, as are some of the others. It's a charitable foundation.

The avowed intention is to encourage children to program as they did in the early days of home computers, so I expect there will be a whole suite of software and hardware add-ons to promote that, which in turn will be relevant to people such as us who like to make things work. Isn't it going to make an Arduino look rather archaic?

John S