Glad you liked it - was my first venture into designing my own clocks. I
haven't posted a schematic, but there isn't really much to it in hardware.
The tubes are driven by single transistor voltage-controlled current sinks
which are run by an octal DAC controlled by a PIC. The rest is just HV
generation, managing the RTC and USB interface etc. The complexity is in
the software rather than the hardware (in part because that's my
background!). Grahame has also built a similar single digit clock using
IN-13 and the same octal DAC. The step down animation doesn't use any
clever hardware like you suggest in the other post - all the effects are
done in firmware.

Sleeping sickness refers to the observation that you won't be able to light
the full length of the tube with the rated current when you receive it from
the supplier. Storage results in some kind of aging of the cathode surface
which makes them resistant to glow. You can burn it off with over-current
treatment, but not all tubes recover satisfactorily. My sense is that the
effect hits IN9 argon > IN9 neon >> IN13.

Cheers,

Jon.