On 8 Feb 2013, at 13:22, John Rehwinkel wrote:

>> You are multiplexing this display on a "one of six" basis. That means each
>> nixie tube is only going to see juice for maybe 15% of the time. Even if you
>> overdrive them, they will be on the dimmer end of their possible light
>> output, and I would imagine that for your application  nice, bright displays
>> are somethiung of a prerequisite. You might want to consider designing the
>> mux to be two sets of "one of three".
>
> Unfortunately, this is what the pinball machine provides to the display - BCD
> code for the current digit, and six (or seven) digit select lines.  Getting
> around this
> would require a great deal more in the way of semiconductors.
>
> Interestingly, I was thinking of doing the same mod to my Xenon.

I had a Xenon at one time. Suzanne Ciani having a synthesised orgasm when you
hit the bumpers was great fun. You can see and hear how she did it at:
http://youtu.be/5_dZqjlM430.

Zitt is wrong in saying Xenon had nixies instead of the usual VDF displays.
Bally never used VFDs (but Gottlieb did). Xenon never had any nixie tubes
either, nor did any US production pinball machine. The French Rally Plays are
the only nixie tubed pinball machines. Maybe Zitt remembered a mod someone else
had already done?

Xenon used the same flat style of planar neon displays all Ballys had, from the
prototype Bow and Arrow in 1974 until they sold out to Midway, a subsidiary of
Williams, in 1991, Blackwater being the last Bally.

I'll get my anorak,

John S