On May 27, 6:22 am, Marcin <marcin.r.adam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could somebody explain me how the discoloration around cathodes is
> supposed to appear during the tube operation? I understand that the
> common knowledge is that only used B7971 have it. The new ones should
> have a uniform back-plate.
> Marcin
One the B7971s that I have broken, the back plates were white ceramic
with the black coating.  I always assumed that the lightening was
caused by sputtering: some of the positive ions miss the cathode and
hit the back plates, eroding the black material.  If the discoloration
came from the manufacturing process, like shadowing by the cathodes
during deposition, I would expect it to be more loaclied under the
wires.