From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Nick
Sent: vrijdag 21 juni 2013 12:55
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Dekatron frequency counter and 6909 issue

On Friday, 21 June 2013 11:35:13 UTC+1, Tidak Ada wrote:

Isn't it just the loss of hydrogen (helium) that makes the trouble? The
absolute pressure inside the tube is lower then outside, but the partial
tension of the hydrogen (helium) is higher than atmospheric as me is
told....

Whilst many fast dekatrons contain hydrogen (and some helium) I'm not sure
the 6909 does - its glow is very orange, indicating a standard-ish Penning
mixture with no hydrogen - also, I can find no documentation stating that
this tube contains hydrogen - it is, however, a reasonable assumption that
it *might* as its a "higher speed" (for a dekatron) tube...

Hydrogen gives a pink-ish glow... not orange. The only real way to be sure
would be to find a good 6909 and do a spectral analysis of its glow... I'm
sure we have members who could do that...

I'm still interested in the relative performance of extant Sylvania vs
Rattheon tubes...

Nick

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/d8bd589a-62a7-46c5-a249-7755b6b
04864%40googlegroups.com.