For the usual steering of dekatrons are special cold cathode triggers
developed, but they are so rare that it will take decades to get them in
suitable quantities. However there are other cold cathode triggers that are
useful. Disadvantage is that all these tubes have difficulties to trigger in
the dark. Therefore they are doped with a small amount of a radioactive
element to make triggering more reliable. That doping has a certain half
life, depending on the isotope used. Radium last longest, but is also an
alpha radiator, that makes it dangerous. The half life of CO60 (most common)
is too short to find any reliable  working tube at this moment.
May be the use of short wave UV-LED's  is a solution. A supplier is Roithner
Laser in Vienna. I will try to do some experiments in the future.

The use of small thermionic thyratrons may be possible, but keep in mind the
power consumption of, fro example, a small 2D21 is already for the heater
alone 4W !!

Here [ http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/index.html ]a sit of a member with much
experience with trigger tube tube clocks. He uses these clocks only as demo
to avoid a to high bill from the electricity supplier...

An other tube clock with only thermionic tubes you can find here; [
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Leserbriefe/Bruegmann-Digital-Roehren-Clock/
Digital-Roehrenuhr.htm ]

eric

  _____