> I'm a refugee of the old yahoo group but its many years since I have
> done anything with nixies.

Welcome back!

>  However I recently came across my box of
> tubes which I amassed mainly from eBay probably eight or ten years
> ago.
>
> I thought I might try something driven by an Arduino - it'll be quite
> a learning curve but should keep me busy ;)

If I were you, I'd go a step at a time.  Looks like you have all you need,
aside from an HV supply.

First, I'd grab a tube, anode resistor, and one of those driver chips, and try
direct driving a single digit.  Then I'd add more digits until I ran out of I/O
pins.  Then I'd either try a shift register as an I/O expander, or look into a
multiplexed design using anode switches.  But getting that first digit lit is a
real thrill!

Here's a pic of my first try with an Arduino:

http://www.vitriol.com/images/tech/nixies/nixie-firstlight.jpg

- John