On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 12:38:52 UTC, Jan Rychter wrote:

> If you don't specifically need 802.15.4 for compatibility reasons and if
> you aren't extremely size-constrained, you might find that it is much
> cheaper to go with an MSP430 and a nRF24L01+ module. This is what I'm doing
> in a project right now: an MSP430G2412IRSA16T (about $1) and a Chinese
> nRF24L01+ module (complete module, with a PCB trace antenna, for about
> $1.15). The Nordic chips work fairly well and are suitable for many
> applications. And getting a complete radio-networked microcontroller
> solution for $2.15 is really hard to beat.
>
> To keep this on topic, I've been considering using those radio modules in
> a home automation system, to light up clocks whenever someone is present in
> the room :-)

Oddly, I've been looking at exactly those modules - the  nRF24L01+ modules
are astonishingly good value for money - I just bought a bunch from
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=NRF24L01+ - 2 of each
type - my application may need the longer range of the LNA/PA version, but
for that sort of money I just bought a pair to try out.

The Nordic stuff is excellent and longer range generally than the
802.15.4/ZigBee stuff, though I;ve noticed that TI do SoCs with inbuilt
wireless but normally with an ARM core - the MSP430 variants are <1GHz.

So many extraordinarily cheap neat devices out there...