On Tuesday, 31 December 2013 13:46:31 UTC, jrehwin wrote:

> > "Resin" was an Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system used only over
> Allied territory - it was a system of coloured lights that changed every
> few days and was visible from the rear of the aircraft to enable night
> fighters to assess the aircraft.
>
> There's all sorts of speculation around.  One article says "RESIN" stands
> for "REStricted INtensity".  Another says they're IR lights.

 Yup - there's some difference of opinion - it was definitely an IFF
system, but the controversy is over whether they were visible or IR
spectrum - I found the schematic on the inside of the rear lid - AFAIK this
schematic hasn't been published anywhere before - it shows the RESIN lights
as simple switched and fused incandescent lamps - not any "special" kit -
so they might emit in the IR spectrum mainly, but the implication is that
they were ordinary visible spectrum - they are not connected via the Morse
keys though (even optionally), unlike all the other lights...

Nick