On 01/17/2014 04:41 AM, astroschmidt wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> that could have been me.
> In Germany the glass-paint that I use to colour my nixies and VFD-tubes is

Here in the US there are two very easy methods that I use to color neon
tubes.

The first is Krylon "stained glass in a can".  Available at craft stores
such as Hobby Lobby.  It's like regular Krylon except that the color is
a transparent dye instead of a pigment.

I use that for quickie jobs and jobs that aren't expected to have to
last very long.

For very durable coloring, and this should be available everywhere
people build custom cars, I use the color coat of the candy apple car
paint process.  The stuff I use is a concentrated dye that comes in a
pint can.  It is added to the clear automotive paint system of your choice.

For normal stuff I use ordinary acrylic enamel.  Lacquer would be even
more durable and shiny but it has to be polished, something practical
for Nixies but not neon signs.  For extraordinary stuff such as neon
that goes on a tower sign, I use polyurethane epoxy paint (caution: VERY
nasty stuff - supplied air respirator mandatory).  This two part system
is almost bullet-proof.

In any case, I apply the dyed clear coat with an air brush.  I like to
use fairly thin paint and apply several coats.  More uniform color than
trying to do it with just one or two coats.

Clear red neon sprayed with candy apple red makes a deep red that looks
like you could swim into it.  Even better color than classic colored glass.

John

--
John DeArmond
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN