>> Check out auction 350987319019.  It appears to be partial analog computers
>> made by Hickok that simulate Ford vehicles.
>>
> Oh, my. If I had the space and a squillion dollars for international
> shipping, I'd take 'em like a shot.

I considered buying 'em for parts and art projects, but while I'd part with a
couple hundred dollars for 'em, a couple hundred MORE for shipping makes it
beyond the "that would be nice to have" category.

> Of particular interest, as I'm in the throes of designing a simple analogue
> computer.

I've been considering doing the same.  Op-amps are cheap and common these days,
and it would be nice to build an analogue chaos machine (the original research
on chaotic systems grew out of a weather simulator on a Systron-Donner analogue
computer).

> My only output devices are currently a pair of large, ex-Soviet, centre-zero
> microammeters wired as voltmeters (ie: pure analogue.)

Nice!  I have a real fondness for big meters.

> Had been wondering whether to include a digital voltmeters too. Whilst I'm
> actually building it for practical reasons, it WOULD look good with some neon
> on there.

Oh, you give me ideas!  Maybe a couple of neon bar graph displays would work.
An eye tube or two?  And a nixie voltmeter would be an appropriate touch.

> My biggest part of the design challenge is getting the cost of the patching
> down - even cheap banana jacks become expensive when you need hundreds!

Surplus is your friend.  I bought a raft of banana jacks in assorted colours
from a surplus vendor a while back.  They're great for prototyping.  And you're
right about needing a lot of them, I looked at some of the analogue computers
available on eBay, and the panels are just covered with them.

- John