Mostly, I do valve ("tube" to our transatlantic cousins) amplifiers these
days.

Over on some of the UK groups we've been having discussions about the UV
risk from Hg rectifiers - it seems though that the glass absorbs pretty
much all the dangerous UV

I asked the question about a year ago on the rather eccentric/abstruse
UK-based Audio-Talk (lot of clever people there) - the thread is at:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4920

The general opinion was that radiation below 300nm would mostly be absorbed
by the envelope but that UV-A would escape (intensity falls off at a rate
of 1/(r^2). Main problem seems to be that it cause a lot of plastics to
degenerate... the response from "IslandPink", who is a physicist and
commercial lens designer is the one you need to read...

Nick