Bookmarking that P-Box link ! Memories of my early teen years. Thanx !

I wouldn't use that variation of a blocking oscillator, they use as their
boost supply. That's a favorite circuit of theirs. Anytime they need a
pulse train, out comes a center-tapped xfmr, and a xstr. You see it a lot
in their 100-in-one projects. PNP germaniums were all over the hobby market
back then. It'll work just fine with a GP silicon part. Also flipping the
circuit to work with a NPN is pretty straight forward.

With the current market, I'd just go with a modern switching supply,
instead of that Radio Shack oscillator, unless you feel the need to
replicate it exactly. Good luck finding those Japanese germaniums !