On 5 maj 2014, at 19:27, John Rehwinkel <jreh...@mac.com> wrote:

>> I finished my HV PSU design and decided to share it as open-source hardware,
>> for anyone to use
>> freely:http://jan.rychter.com/high-voltage-power-supply-for-nixie-tube-projects
>
> That's a nice bit of work, thank you for sharing it!  I'll just offer one
> tip: when supporting multiple package
> variants and not wanting your schematic to look wonky, make a custom Eagle
> part that has a footprint
> with the package variants, and use that.  A side advantage is that you don't
> have to try to overlap parts
> to get the arrangement you want, avoiding design rule check errors.

Yes, that's definitely the better approach. But I'm wary of investing too much
time into Eagle, as I think it is on its way out (looking forward to switching
to KiCad), so I don't want to spend too much time tweaking libraries.

>> The supply generates up to 220V from a 12V input. In addition to that, it
>> also provides 2*Vout (so, up to 440V, for dekatrons), and two outputs for
>> powering digital logic: 5V and 3.3V. The primary HV boost circuit reaches
>> 88% efficiency when going from 12V to 185V at 55mA, with a 3% output ripple.
>
> Those are some useful parameters.  That would also make a nice tube/CRT
> supply.  The 5V output could be
> adjusted to 6.3V for heaters, and the doubler could be extended to a tripler
> (or more) for CRTs that want more voltage. The regulation, efficiency, and
> available current would all be less, but CRTs don't need much current.

And this is why making a design public makes sense -- I would never have known!

> I really appreciate details like mounting holes!

Yes, I'm tired of devices that don't have them, and as a result are only useful
as a bench toy. I don't know how people mount the other PSUs I've seen -- cast
them in resin? Make rails? Use clips?

> [...]
> I'd be intereseted if you care to share more details on loop stability or the
> parasitic ringing on the switching node and
> how to tame it with a snubber.

I'd love to, but unfortunately there isn't much to share. The loop stability
calculations were done using SwitcherPro. It did require some tweaking, as it
wasn't really meant to design a supply like that. I managed to get a decent
margin, but I can't be certain of the actual behavior, because:

* the output cap plays a role, but isn't easily controllable, especially its
ESR,
* the design is intended to be used with various inductors and caps.

And since I don't have access to a network analyzer, I can't really verify the
calculations. All I can see is that I get no oscillations or unstable behavior,
and that load transient behavior is nice and clean, in the circuits I've built.

As to the snubber, I just went with TI recommendations again -- I don't think I
can properly design a snubber with my 100MHz scope.

TI has good literature on the topic:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/litabsmultiplefilelist.tsp?literatureNumber=slup100
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/litabsmultiplefilelist.tsp?literatureNumber=slva255

The test points placed on the board should be enough for someone to connect a
network analyzer, so perhaps some day this will happen :-)

--J.